In this post: Discover the Safest and Most Comfortable Travel Car Seats for Babies and Toddlers in Our Ultimate Guide. Post contains affiliate links.
With so many trips coming up, I spent the last few weeks looking into the best travel car seats for babies and toddlers. Travel car seats are essential for families who love to travel with their young ones. These car seats are designed to provide safety, comfort, and convenience during travel. They are usually lightweight, compact, and easy to install in different types of vehicles, including rental cars, taxis, and airplanes.
Things to consider with travel car seats
There are two main types of travel car seats for babies and toddlers: infant car seats and convertible car seats. Infant car seats are suitable for infants up to 2 years old and can only be used rear-facing. Convertible car seats, on the other hand, can be used for infants and toddlers up to 4 years old and can be used both rear-facing and forward-facing.
When choosing a travel car seat, parents should consider factors such as safety ratings, weight and size limits, ease of installation, and portability. It is important to choose a car seat that meets the safety standards of the country or region of travel.
Top 10 Highest Rated Car Seats for Babies and Toddlers
When it comes to traveling with children on airplanes, safety is key. That’s why investing in a good travel car seat is crucial to ensure comfort, practicality and, above all, safety. Here are the 10 best travel car seats for airplanes and travel:
1. Safety 1st Guide 65 – First on the list is the Safety 1st Guide 65. This compact car seat is perfect for small cars and can be used as a rear-facing or forward-facing seat.
2. Evenflo Tribute LX – Check out this affordable and lightweight car seat that is easy to install and is a great choice for air travel. Fits babies and toddlers 5-40 lbs.
3. Diono Radian RXT– The Diana RXT is a versatile car seat can be used as a rear-facing, forward-facing, or booster seat and folds flat for easy transport. It is more expensive but can last your children through years and years of travel. Fits babies 5lbs all the way up to kids 120 lbs.
4. Safety First Jive 2-in-1 Convertible Car Seat – This is a lightweight and slim carseat that is perfect for air travel.I love that the fabric is machine washable and dryer safe to make clean up when traveling super easy. Fits babies and kids 5-65 lbs.
5. Clek Oobr – Check out this super cool booster seat for kids that looks good and has stellar safety ratings. It is pricey, but it has some safety features and ratings that family’s love to pay extra for. Fits kids 40-100 lbs.
6. WayB Pico Foldable Travel Car Seat – Weighing just 8 pounds, the Pico travel car seat makes it easy to travel light. Each purchase also comes with a Premium Travel Bag where Pico can be stored and carried as a backpack, with the carrying handle, or slipped on the handle of rolling luggage. It’s pricey but worth it for families who love to fly with kids. Fits toddlers and kids 22-50 lbs.
7. Chicco Key Fit – This infant car seat is easy to install and fits babies up to 30 pounds. It is FFA approved which makes flying a breeze. We had two of these with our twins and absolutely loved them.
8. Cosco Scenera NEXT – This lightweight car seat (only 6.8 pounds!) is affordable and can be used with both LATCH and seatbelt installation. It can be used both rear and forward facing. Fits babies and toddlers 5-40 lbs.
9. Doona Infant Car Seat and Latch Base – It’s a car seat AND a stroller in one?! Sign me up. It’s FFA approved which means you can roll this baby onto the plane and have your little one safe in their own seat. This makes travel so easy and by combining it with a stroller, makes it absolutely worth it. Fits babies and toddlers 4-35 lbs.
10.Graco SlimFit – This narrow car seat is designed to fit in small spaces and can be used as a rear-facing, forward-facing, or booster seat. Fits babies, toddlers and children 5-100 lbs!
These car seats are lightweight, easy to install, comfortable, and designed to meet or exceed the safety standards set by the FAA and government agencies. Ultimately, the best travel car seat is one that fits your child’s needs and your budget while providing the utmost safety during the journey. I hope this list helps you find the perfect gear for your next adventure! If I’m missing any of your favorites, let me know in the comments below.
Not ready to invest in a travel car seat for your family?
Have no fear! If you don’t feel ready to invest in a travel car seat, remember you could always rent one with your rental car. Just keep in mind that you can’t always guarantee the quality or condition of the car seats. Also, for long term trips, you can consider buying a car seat abroad. Always make sure you are keeping up with local laws regarding child safety restraints and travel.