Life Cycle of a Butterfly in Spanish – Ciclo de Vida de la Mariposa
In this post: Learn all about el ciclo de vida de la mariposa in Spanish! Get fun butterfly crafts with kids and new ways to learn about butterflies in Spanish. Post contains affiliate links.
One of the most fascinating things to learn about with kids is the life cycle of a butterfly. Not only is this an amazing chance for a fun nature study lesson with kids, but it’s also a great way to learn more about the life of a butterfly in Spanish! Whether I’m learning about metamorphosis at my bilingual forest school, or reading butterfly books in Spanish with my kids – this is one of my favorite things to learn about with kids.
Life Cycle of a Butterfly in Spanish
When you’re learning about el ciclo de vida de una mariposa in Spanish with your kids, make sure they have all the necessary vocabulary! You don’t need to bombard them with a ton of new words, even just learning how to say butterfly in Spanish along with a few others will help! Here are some key vocabulary words to help you learn about the life cycle of a butterfly in Spanish.
- La Mariposa (mah-ree-poh-sah) – Butterfly
- La Oruga (oh-roo-gah) – Caterpillar
- La Crisálida (kree-sah-lee-dah) – Chrysalis
- La Metamorfosis (meh-tah-mohr-foh-sees) – Metamorphosis
Spanish Books about Butterflies
Next, don’t forget the books! Stories are such an amazing way to bring any topic to life. Whether you’re wanting fun Spanish books about butterflies, or bilingual books specifically about the butterfly life cycle in Spanish, these are some of my favorites.
Spanish Butterfly Chant for Kids
After you learn your vocabulary all about butterflies in Spanish, teach kids this fun chant! It is a hand clapping game, and a great way to get your children practicing Spanish.
Mari, mari, po, po
Mari, mari, sa, sa
Mari, po, mari, sa
Watch the mariposa chant for kids
Bring the Butterfly Life Cycle to Life
It’s one thing to learn about a topic, it’s another to bring it to life. Any time I’m teaching about el ciclo de vida de la mariposa, I always try to find hands-on activities and projects to do with my students! Here are some fun ways you can help your kids learn Spanish while they learn more about butterflies in Spanish.
- Raise Butterflies – Did you know you can raise your own caterpillars into butterflies?! It is actually super simple and so incredible to do with kids. You could try to find your own caterpillar eggs outside to hatch, or keep it simple and order caterpillars in a cup from Insectlore! This is an incredible way to literally watch the butterfly life cycle unfold before your own eyes. It’s easy to do, and the experience is something your kids will remember forever.
Amazing Butterfly Life Cycle Observation Kids
- Butterfly Life Cycle Paper Plate Craft – Here is another fun way to recreate the butterfly life cycle with kids! For this hands-on activity you can also expose kids to the printed steps of each stage to support their literacy. Of course, to make this a Spanish lesson we would put all of these words en español!
Want to really dive deep learning about the butterfly life cycle in Spanish with kids?
Did you know that I took all my years working as a Spanish teacher and nature lover and created my own bilingual nature study curriculum? Spanish in the Wild is perfect for families who want to learn or grow their Spanish at home while immersed in nature study. In the spring time seasonal curriculum of Spanish in the Wild, you have a whole lesson dedicated to the butterfly life cycle in Spanish! With more hands-on activities, literature, and even a native Spanish speaker audio guide – this curriculum is jam packed with Spanish nature learning!